Thanks for reading our blog. Please sponsor us!

Thank you for taking the time to read our blog and sharing in our journey! You can donate to our two chosen charities by following these links: Caroline (RNIB) Click HERE to sponsor me! Amy (MND) Click HERE to sponsor me! Any donations are gratefully received no matter how small! Thank you!

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Why I am climbing Mt Kilimanjaro - Caroline's Story


Why Mt Kilimanjaro?

I love Africa....having volunteered there twice before. There is something very inspiring there...the people, the wildlife, the landscape. I love an adventure, travelling to new and different places, so why not take on a once-in-a-lifetime challenge as well!

Who are RNIB? 

The Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) is the UK's leading charity offering information, support and advice to almost two million people with sight loss. They provide information on eye conditions and support and advice for people living with sight loss, not just with braille and Talking Books, but with imaginative and practical solutions to everyday challenges. They also support research into sight loss and eye health issues.



Why do I want to raise £3,600 for RNIB?

I have Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP). RP is the name given to a diverse group of inherited eye disorders affecting the retina. RP causes permanent changes to your vision including difficulty with vision in dim light or the dark and the loss of your side or peripheral vision. Now you know why I bump into things all the time! :)


Diagnosed 10 years ago I have never been given the opportunity to drive as my vision is so bad. Losing my peripheral vision means not noticing when someone is standing next to me or extra concentration when walking through a busy shopping centre. My eyes take a while to adapt to sharp changes in light brightness like entering a dim lite pub on a sunny day and I always rely on someone else finding a seat in the cinema if the lights are already off. Travel is the biggest pain relying on favours or working out public transport timetables and routes. It wears you down sometimes and I always worry about how much more my vision will deteriorate. There is no cure but they are working on it!

Ways to support:

  • Keep up-to-date with our training and fundraising efforts. Ways to do that include this blog, or my Twitter account @tigercazstar
  • Read more about the great work RNIB do or read more about my condition RP
  • Help me exceed my fundraising target and leave me a good luck a message on my JustGiving site

Did you know?

Every day 100 people in the UK start losing their sight.

Thank you!

Your support is really appreciated and whilst I am attempting this challenge it will get me through!

Much love, Caroline xx

3 comments:

  1. Nice purpose. I hope for your success and more success after Climbing Mt Kilimanjaro, because of your king reasons of getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best in your Kilimanjaro Charity Climb. More so i hope you raise much more money for the RNIB to help more blind people with support that they obviously need.

    Climbing Kilimanjaro through Machame

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Amy and Caroline,

    I came across your blog when I was doing some research on Mt. Kili. I wanted to discuss an affiliate partnership with my company - AlienAdv.com, which is a platform for adventure travel. We really believe that real traveller experiences and reviews are what is needed to give an accurate idea of such a trek and helps to prepare for such a journey. Do let me know if you would like to collaborate with us on this. I would love to get on a call and answer any questions that you might have.

    ReplyDelete